Friday, March 29, 2013

On Strength

            One summer day my granddaddy and I were going to walk to store a block behind his house.  I was always barefoot, but he suggested I put my shoes on since the road had just been paved, and the pavement would be hot.
            I told granddaddy “I’m not worried, I always go barefoot.”  So we set out to the store.  Maybe thirty yards away from the driveway to his house that was behind the garage, I began to cry.  He simply picked me up and carried me to the store, bought me a sucker, then carried me back. 
            I kept waiting for him to say ‘I told you so’.  But he never did.  I asked him why he didn’t fuss at me about it, and he said “You know the mistake you made, you don’t need me to point it out.”
            I always admired the strength and wisdom he showed me.  Even then, I could appreciate the qualities that went to make up my granddaddy.  That’s when I decided I wanted to be like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment